Friday, June 5, 2020

A Tern for the Best (24-29May2020)

In these times of turbulence and racial strife, today we will focus on a Tern species that perfectly highlights the beauty of black and white living together in perfect harmony.  I am of course speaking of the now infamous White-winged Tern which has graced our shores from Asia or Africa.  First some pics leading up to this crescendo.

Some folks were seeing an Olive-sided Flycatcher among other good birds at the Flat River Impoundments north of Durham and although I have seen OSFLs before, I was hoping for a better pic.  Unfortunately that never happened but the spot was quite nice and I had a few consolations.


Eastern Comma I think.  The "comma" is perpendicular to the axis formed by the wing pattern.  Question Marks have a marking that is parallel.



Blackpoll Warbler



White-eyed Vireo



Appalachian Brown I think!  New one for me.  This was taken at Brickhouse Rd which is very close to Flat River Impoundment.



Spangled Skimmer - also a new one for me.  Note the white stigmas which are a field mark.



In order to salvage my trip I headed over to Crabtree Creek park in Raleigh as someone had reported the continuing Warbling Vireo.


Hairy Woodpecker!


Warbling Vireo!  It was singing up a storm.




On another day I made a short trip to northern New Hanover County to some of the game lands off Holly Shelter Rd which is actually not really close to the Holly Shelter Gamelands that most people visit in Pender County.


Prairie Warblers are everywhere.


Eastern-tailed Blue



Presumed Pearl Crescent


Summer Tanager female.


Male


Hooded Warbler



Red-banded Hairstreak!  So cool.


I am going with Horace's Duskywing on this one but happy to hear any feedback from any Leps experts.





American Lady!



2 "eyespots" on bottom side of wings.

Prepare yourself for some yeti style photos now and bring your imagination.  Sam C called me with a sighting of a couple pelagic birds at Johnnie Mercer's Pier which is quite rare in New Hanover so I jetted down despite impending rain.


Sooty Shearwater!


There was a larger sized Storm-petrel zipping around like a nighthawk over the waves which means it was probably a Leach's SP.  However, I kept the report as Storm-petrel sp.


Laughing Gulls, Sooty Shearwater and unidentified Storm-petrel.

Ok enough of these distant grainy photos.

The weekend finally came and I headed towards the OBX with a quick stop at the Beargrass VOA



This Field Sparrow had a wound on its flank and a bee in its mouth.

I did see one Henslow's Sparrow but it was not cooperative for photos.  I think they are hunkered down for nesting and feeding young and will probably be more bold again in July.

It took a little while to get good looks at the White-winged Tern once I got to Salt Pond on the OBX but when I did, the looks were fantastic.


Species #402 for North Carolina life list.







Common Gallinule


This Osprey had his lunch stolen by this Bald Eagle.  He was not happy.


Gull-billed Tern in the campground at Cape Point.


White-winged Tern flying by the famous Buxton light.



Eastern Meadowlark


Rambur's Forktails!



Least Skipper



Eastern Kingbird - I am always amazed how such a large bird can perch on a grass blade.


Gull-billed Tern


These two Sandlering were both facing each other and playing "who will blink first".


The victor!


Great Black-backed Gull

Next post will be a chronicle of the pelagic I took last weekend.  For those of you wondering, the boat did require masks to be worn and with a still breeze I felt comfortable that we were not at high risk despite being in somewhat close quarters.  I avoided the cabin like the plague.

TGIF.

No comments:

Post a Comment