Monday, October 12, 2020

Local Yokels (12-26Sep2020)

Fall migration is the best time of year on the coast for diversity.  You get migrant warblers and shore birds, you get the local breeders and then you get some of the winter birds starting to move back in.  So I have been getting out as much as I can whenever I can.  However, sometimes the birds come to you!  I was on a teleconference sitting in my home office when I noticed a flash of yellow in my Live Oak.  By the time I got my camera up it was in the myrtle.


Yellow Warbler


This Ruby-throat at Greenfield Lake was quite colorful but I suppose within the range.


Tufted Titmouse enjoying a red cedar.


This Prairie Warbler was quite agitated and then I noticed why...


Banded Water Snake

I have been making the trip out on the Fort Fisher spit, but it has not been as good as past years.  For a while the gate was broken so they were letting anyone on the beach which had the effect of letting everyone and their mother on.  I am all for equal opportunity so that was nice, but the spit just can't take that much traffic and the birds have been moving on to find other places to roost at high tide.  The part that really irked me was that the first cut where all the birds usually roost was taken over by a caravan of trucks basically tailgating all day.  The interesting thing though which I loved was seeing the mix of people.  You had the usual caravans of Trumpers but then also diverse ethnicities would show up and park right next to the Trumpers which really tickled me.  Its true there was tension, but I think the only way we will all get along is to spend time with each other and eventually we will start seeing each other as equals... maybe..


Common Terns were still moving through.



Forster's Terns are back in their non-breeding plumage which makes for an easy ID with the pirate eye-patch.


Caspian Terns are easy to ID with the honking bill tipped with black as if dipped in ink.


Who knew Tom Brady is a surfer and vacations in the Wilmington area...


Although plentiful the Common Buckeye has not lost its shine in my eye.


Back at Burnt Mill Creek (BMC) we have been swimming in flycatchers.  This presumed Willow had been hanging out for some weeks around the pond.



I am going with Whirlabout on this one.


White-eyed Vireos have been thick at BMC.



Going with Ocala Skipper on this one.


Hmmm, probably Needham's.


Painted Lady


BMC holds hundreds of Common Yellowthroats and when they pose I am obligated to photograph them.



Of course in the flycatcher mix are tons of Empidonax that I don't even attempt to ID.


This fall has been good for adult male Redstarts.


Blackpolls have been uncooperative but present.


Young or female "yellowstarts" are the most common migrant at BMC or Greenfield.


Semipalmated Plover


Chickie


Greenfield Allie


When a Cooper's Hawk shows up the party is over..

More local stuff in the next installment but then I can probably squeeze in the bird of the year.  I'll give you a hint, it's from Arizona and puts our Redstarts to shame.






No comments:

Post a Comment