Friday, May 31, 2024

Texas Part 3 (08-09Apr2024)

Apologies for the long wait for this post, I got caught up doing some other things.  Mainly yard stuff and work stuff.

My last full day in Texas was the day of the eclipse.  I already knew that all the state parks around San Antonio were booked in advance so I searched eBird for hotspots that didn't look like state parks and found Friedrich Wilderness Park.  I lucked out as this park was great and there were plenty of spots when I showed up first thing.  My target was the Edwards Plateau speciality of Golden-cheeked Warbler and I was also hoping for Black-capped Vireo.

I started out with a butterfly lifer:


Little Wood Satyr!


Question Mark Butterfly dorsal surface.


Question Mark ventral side.  See the small white inverted question mark.

It took a while but I finally started hearing my target....


Golden-cheeked Warbler lifer!


I think this was a Black-chinned Hummingbird but I was not able to get a phot in good light.

Although this park was beautiful, the birds were not too plentiful but I always find this is true of heavily wooded areas.  


Another Little Wood Satyr

I was worried the eclipse was going to be a huge dud because it was cloudy but in the end I did get some of the effect.


The eclipse through the clouds.  It did get totally dark and it was cool seeing it in the Texas Hill Country.

After the eclipse, I had to start heading back to the valley as I had a flight the next day from Brownsville.  I decided to head straight down to Bentsen State Park to see if I could find a nesting Elf Owl that had been showing in the cavity hole around sunset.  I was not disappointed!


Elf Owl - Next time I will bring a tripod because shooting in low light (it was past 8pm) is hard when shooting from the hip.  The guy standing next to me had a tripod and got amazing photos.

My flight was not until slightly after lunch so I had time in the morning to try for more rarities.  I picked the Frontera Audubon center in Hidalgo to try for the continuing Crimson-collared Grosbeak.  I knew it would be tough as many people go and get skunked.  After an hour of so of walking the trails, a couple other birders joined me and we looked together for a couple more hours.  We did hear the bird, but I don't usually count birds unless I see them unless they are owls or something definitive.


Plain Chachalaca


Javelina!

Inca Dove


Golden-fronted Woodpecker


White-tipped Dove

I knew when I left I would check eBird and find out someone saw the bird and they did, about 30 minutes after I left. Oh well..

It was a nice little trip but I definitely would do things differently in hindsight.  For example, I should have stayed in the valley when I found out the eclipse was going to be obscured by clouds.  That would have given me a day more to look for the rarities.  That being said, then I would never have found Choke Canyon which was a huge bonus.

Next time I will jump to book tickets sooner when all the rarities show up.



No comments:

Post a Comment