Friday, May 24, 2019

Tulum area Grande Finale (17Apr2019)

With one morning left in Tulum, I decided to drive towards Muyil but look for a place on the way that might have some different birds.  I saw a sign for Cenote Angelita and the gate appeared to be open despite the early hour.  It ended up being a good move.  The owner of the cenote was confused when I told him I just wanted to walk around and look for birds and so he said I didn't have to pay.  I ended up being so happy with my 1.5 hours birding when I left I slipped his son a $20. The property is pretty big and there is some good different habitat including some successional farm land.


Ferruginous Pygmy-owl


Yellow-green Vireo


Roadside Hawk


Rose-throated Becard



Green-breasted Mango




Another YG Vireo - apparently one of these is in New Jersey right now.



Lineated Woodpecker


Northern Rough-winged Swallows - I believe these are the Ridgway's Sub-species as evidenced from the pale lores.


Yellow-throated Euphonia


Orange Oriole


Black-cowled Oriole


Veery


Keel-billed Toucan

Just goes to show that blindly stopping somewhere can be better than following other advice blindly.  I think I got more lifers at this random roadside stop than both mornings at Muyil.

After chowing down one more time at our villa, we set off for Rio Lagartos on the north coast of the Yucatan.  Next post will be focused on that area.





No comments:

Post a Comment