Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Arizona Dreaming Part 3 (07Aug2021)

I woke early on the 7th and decided I needed to look for a Botteri's Sparrow as this was our last day in the Canyon and I wasn't sure if I could get them in the next spot.  While Melissa attended to her ablutions I headed down into the wash at the entrance to the canyon and quickly heard my quarry.



Botteri's Sparrow - quite reminiscent to our Bachman's Sparrow albeit with a smaller schnoz.



That only took about 15 minutes after first light and so I made it back to pick up Melissa with time to spare.  We headed up to the same trailhead and this time we took the main trail towards Mount Baldy which is over 11k feet in elevation.  However we only made it to Josephine Saddle which is about a 5 mile hike but reaches 7100 feet which is already higher than our tallest mountain east of the Mississippi. 


Arizona Woodpecker - the climb up to the saddle was relatively quiet but I did have one little flock.


Hutton's Vireo - like our Ruby-crowned Kinglet but with a bigger bill.


Once up to the saddle proper, the Yellow-eyed Juncos had me captivated.  One even jumped on my shoe.


As I rested up for the walk back down a nice flock moved in all around me at the saddle.  Sometimes its better to just let the birds come to you.


Red-faced Warbler - what a stunner!




Grace's Warbler - similar to our Yellow-throated.





Bridled Titmouse




Plumbeous Vireo!

I practically floated down the mountain after that bird orgy.

After checking out of Santa Rita, we headed down the canyon and back around to Tubac for lunch before heading to the famous (infamous?) Patagonia Picnic Tables.  It was super hot and Melissa was not too pleased while I searched for the resident Rose-throated Becards.  It was super frustrating because apparently the nesting birds had just fledged the day prior so they were no longer visiting the huge hanging nest.   I did have a consolation Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet but I will spare you the horrible pics.  My time there ran out quickly and I decided I would have to get my ABA area ticks another day.  I had already seen them in Mexico so it wasn't a big deal.

The next stop was the famous Paton Center for Hummingbirds where the Violet-crowned Hummingbird is the specialty.


Violet-crowned Hummingbird - It didn't take long to see one.



Broad-billed Hummingbird




Our next stop for the day was the Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary before spending the night in downtown Sierra Vista.  


Lucifer Hummingbird 




Actually we drove some of the canyons around there before turning in so I could listen for nightjars but didn't put too much effort into it.


Cassin's Kingbird in the waning light.





Next up on Part 4 is the famous Miller Canyon!


No comments:

Post a Comment