Saturday, September 11, 2021

Arizona Dreaming Part 4 (08Aug2021)

Our final Canyon adventure was spent in Miller Canyon, home of Beatty's Guesthouse.  The target bird here was the White-eared Hummingbird(s) that have been visiting the salvias in the canyon creek bed.  We actually ran into a large group of folks from the Carolinas, Winston-Salem I think.


Rufous type hummer (Rufous/Allens).


Red-faced Warbler


Grace's Warbler


I found one White-eared Hummer about a mile up the canyon but the photos were distant.  On the way back down at the half mile mark, I found a more obliging one.  



It was nice to photograph a rare hummer that wasn't sitting on a feeder.


This Cooper's Hawk put a bit of a damper on the bird activity.


Luckily Hummingbirds are too fast for Hawks.



Guessing Western Wood-Pewee


Rufous/Allen's - I think Rufous is more likely in SE Arizona.


This raptor was soaring high up and I think now it's a Northern Goshawk!  It confused me at the time because I thought the tail fit more for a Juvenile bird which would mean I would see streaks on the breast, but now that I study it I think this is an adult bird.



Bridled Titmouse


The owner at Beatty's was super nice and chatty but it was getting hot and we needed to head to our next hotel which was a cushy Hilton property closer to the airport in Tucson.   I figured Melissa deserved some pampering after staying in some more spartan accommodations for 3 nights.  We even got cocktails and sat out by the pool for a while.


In the afternoon we headed to a nearby state park (Catalina SP) for a walk in a more desert-like habitat.


Rufous-winged Sparrow!


Black-throated Sparrow


Can't believe how green the desert was.


The desert was absolutely overrun by these little Red-spotted Toads making it tricky to walk without fear of stepping on them.


Arizona Powdered Skipper

In the morning we had time for one last hike in the same state park near the hotel.


Canyon Towhee


I think this is a Pepsis Wasp, otherwise known as a Tarantula Hawk Wasp.  They use Tarantulas as host meals for their larvae.


Funereal Duskywing!  Butterfly lifer.


Lazuli Bunting


White-throated Swift



Lesser Goldfinch


Phainopepla 


Orange-crowned Warbler I think.  They look so different out west.



This young sparrow had me confused...


But it was hanging out with this adult Rufous-winged Sparrow, so that's what it is.


I am going with Empress Leilia or Desert Hackberry on this one.


Common Sootywing?


Abert's Towhee - Back at the hotel grounds I got some final birding in while Melissa washed up.


Young Cactus Wren



Vermilion Flycatcher 

My last bird for the trip was a Bell's Vireo...


Bell's Vireo



Wow!! Arizona in the summer is a different beast.  Hot, unexpectedly humid and full of good birds.  I wholly recommend it and can't wait to go back.


No comments:

Post a Comment