Saturday, February 10, 2018

Dribs and Drabs (06-10Feb2018)

Can't say the birding has been good since the pelagic last week.  However, I am making progress plugging the holes of seen only and not photographed.


House Wren at Fort Fisher



Bluebird


European Starling


Airlie Gardens has a ton of Black-crowned Night-herons this time of year.


Pine Warbler at Hugh McRae Park.


American Kestrel at Ashley High School


Boat-tailed Grackle at Fort Fisher


House Sparrow at Carolina Beach Lake


Rock Pigeon at CB Lake


Pied-billed Grebe


Black Vulture

I don't usually stalk birds outside a home uninvited but a White-winged Dove has been seen off and on for 2 months on a road near where I live and the owner was not known to me and I did not have their contact info.  So I went and lurked on the road until the nice lady spotted me and invited me to wait until the dove showed.


This Red-bellied Woodpecker was obliging while we waited.


It took about 30 minutes but I finally spotted the Dove in an adjacent yard.


I didn't have time to wait for it to become more photogenic so off I went.

Tomorrow I plan to try Holly Shelter for some specialty birds for SE North Carolina.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie, I keep sending your wonderful blog to various birder friends. The previous one with the pelagics and the discovery of the Rough-legged Hawk was amazing! Kudos! I am so glad to see this blog entry with mostly common, "plain-Jane" birds (except the WW Dove and the BCN Herons.... wow!)People neglect to photograph the common birds, such as starling, house sparrow, vultures, etc. Oddly, there are very few photos of some of these birds on ebird (at least for Wake County.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So dull walks versus exciting walks.... I toured Wendell Park and Turnipseed Nature Preserve (both in Wendell, east end of the state), and although we had about 37 species, it was pretty much ho-hum, enjoyable birding. Best Bird: Wood Duck.
    But the day before, we toured Fred Fletcher Park, which is an urban park near the intersection of Washington/Glenwood in downtown Raleigh (Peace/Glenwood is just a couple blocks, where the tall buildings and dozens of restaurants reside). And we cleaned up at Fred Fletcher! A talented photographer (Lori White) was present and landed photos of a male Baltimore Oriole (unusual in the Piedmont), a whole mess of Rusty Blackbirds (unusual too), and plenty of others. I recorded the oriole, which is only the second recording for this species in Wake County. Visit ebird to see checklist S42613315 (just copy paste that number while you are hanging on one of your own checklists and it will take you to mine). Erla

    ReplyDelete