Saturday, April 22, 2017

Marshall Matters (09-14Apr2017)

Guess who's back? Back again...

Ok I probably lost most of my readers as birding and rap usually don't mix.  I guess I am a bit of an outlier when it comes to musical taste in the birding community.

For my kid's Easter break we decided to go up to the mountains even though the weather was great in Wilmington and I knew it was early for migrant warblers.  However every year we regret taking advantage of the kid's break and get frustrated when they are home all day while we are trying to work.  So off we went.  We selected Marshall about 30 minutes North of Asheville in an attempt to try some of the corners of NC we have not been to.  Last year we did Mars Hill.  Marshall on the other hand is west of Mars Hill and surrounded by Sandmush Gamelands. A cool little town on the banks of the French Broad River which is actually counter-intuitively down stream from Asheville.  Rivers shouldn't be allowed to flow South to North.  The place we stayed at was tucked away up a large hill and in a farm but what you couldn't tell from Air B&B was that it was across the valley from a quarry and during the day the noise took away from the remoteness of the place.  A shame because everything else about it was really nice.

Anytime I take Route 74 up to Asheville, I try and make a stop at Blewett Falls which is East of Charlotte.


The Cliff Swallow colony is getting huge at the Dam.


It was cool to watch them fly in with mud from the river banks and make the nests.





Zebra Swallowtail


Has to be the coolest butterfly in NC?



Eastern Tailed-blue




This Highland Scottish Cattle was the only type of cow up at the farm we stayed at.  The owner was a little eccentric.  He was going on and on about chem trails and how the government was trying to kill us or something.



Tree Swallows were already starting to nest.



I think this was a Raven, carrying nesting material.

The first full day we headed up to Max Patch Bald.  Unfortunately it was way too early for migrants.  The leaves still had not leafed out.



Black Swallowtail


White-breasted Nuthatch


I believe this is a Juvenal's Duskywing


A migrating Sandhill Crane flew over the bald.



Common Raven - the wedge shaped tail is the giveaway.



At the bridge in Marshall there were more Cliff Swallows and I did my best to get a flight shot. I must have looked like a madman with the long lens spinning in circles trying to follow the fast flying swallows.




Cabbage White?

If you go to Asheville, do yourself a favor and go to Chai Pani.  Best restaurant in NC in my humble opinion.  We went twice while up for the week.


Great Horned Owl on the UNC Asheville campus



The owlets were not cooperating for the camera.

We did a ton of hiking, including the climb up to the top of Mount Pisgah.  Almost no birds but I did hear 4-5 Ruffed Grouse drumming which was cool.



Dark-eyed Junco


Searching for his lost Lenore....Nevermore.

Melissa loves Black Balsam so we did that hike too.  Some birds there...


Golden-crowned Kinglet



Broad-winged Hawk!


The family hiking up just past where the Mourning Warbler used to hang out.



Peregrine Falcon at the Devil's Courthouse.  I couldn't convince the family to stay until dark to listen for Saw Whets but we did go have dinner at the Pisgah Inn.  I listed for Saw Whets once we got out but it was windy and I heard nothing.



This Pink Moon looked more red to me but it was pretty cool.


This picture of an Orange-crowned Warbler was cool only because you could actually see the orange which is usually hidden.


Sharp-Shinned Hawk from outside the rental.  Between this and the damn cats all over the farm, no wonder the migrant warblers were not hanging out.


Cherry Blossom Tit



Anyone good with snakes?


Black-throated Green from the river trail at the Asheville Arboretum.



Northern Parula


Pink Beds Loop Trail was one of my favorite hikes although it was relatively flat.  The irony on this trip is that when I lugged my heavy camera around for miles on hikes, the best birds were usually at the parking lot.


Blackburnian Warblers were the most plentiful warbler of the trip.


Blue-headed Vireos were everywhere.


Purple Finches!  Finding Purple Finches away from any feeders is like making fire rubbing two sticks together. Its much harder but way more satisfying.




A trip to Asheville is not complete without walking the Warren Wilson College campus.


White-throated Sparrows are singing.


White-crowned Sparrows can be reliably found here over by the horse pen.





I think this is a Question Mark.


Swamp Sparrow


The one picture I did't take but maybe should have, there was two young ladies completely naked using Hula Hoops in the river.  They had music going.  Looked fun but Melissa was waiting at the parking lot and I didn't think she would appreciate it if I stayed and ogled.


A Northern Shoveler was running late on his migration.

At the Bear Creek access for Sandymush which was only 10 minutes from our place, I went at dusk hoping to get a picture of a Whip-Poor-Will.


This is the red gate I heard they would land on when singing so I focused and waited. Right as it got too dark to picture without a flash, one landed right on the gate!!


This is the best I could manage without a flash.  The flash was too far.  Dangit!  The next night I went again and this time stayed closer to the gate and focused.  Unfortunately he never landed on it again...  Birding is hard.

I did however get some recordings of the Whips.  I will post later when I figure out how to properly save and post it.


Helmeted Guinea Fowl - would have been countable in Cuba, but not in NC.


Solitary Sandpiper at Beaver Lake.



I finally found the Mandarin Duck at Beaver Lake.



The last big hike was Mount Mitchell up the loop trail.


Finally got my year Red-breasted Nuthatch


Variegated Fritillary



Monarch Butterfly


These Longhorns were on the way to our last little walk at the Cedar Hill access to Sandymush.  What a gem of a place!



Melissa collected wildflowers while I attempted to bird.



It was a great trip even though a bit early for migrants.  I need to convince my kid's school to have Easter break during peak migration.



No comments:

Post a Comment