Sunday, March 4, 2018

Almost caught up (24Feb - 03Mar2018)

Some random birding around town and near my son's soccer tournaments has me almost caught up in the pictures/seen ratio.


Some of the Boney's at Wrightsville Beach are developing hoods and it is making me look at them twice.  There has been huge congregations due to the pumping they are doing in the beach restoration effort.


Cool looking Boney.

Up at Wilson, NC my oldest son had a soccer game so I visited some of the birding hot spots not really expecting anything.


I thought this was Snow Goose, but it turned out to be some domestic abomination.



An uncountable beauty and beast all wrapped into one bird.


At North River Farms I reunited with John and the group and all I have for my troubles was this Glass Lizard.  It was good to see them though.


And on the way home I picked up this Bachman's Sparrow signing it's head off in Holly Shelter.  The habitat looks great with a ton of recently burned areas.


Carolina Chicka in my front yard enjoying some Black Oil Seeds.


Green Comma?  in my yard.


Rusty Blackbirds at the Battleship.

Last week I had a work trip up and Philly and to avoid long layovers, I chose to fly our of RDU in Raleigh.  So I thought, why not go to Mid Pines and pick up some birds.


I was looking at some distant Horned Larks worried that the pictures would not come out when a huge flock of them took off from a nearby field and circled overhead.


This is a super cropped and lightened photo so you can see the marks.


White outer tail feathers.


About 40 of them!  I wish I had my ear buds in, maybe I could have picked out a Longspur.


Field Sparrow also at Mid Pines.


White-breasted Nuthatch at Yates Mill right next door.


We don't really get them on the coastal plain so I watched him for a while.



Friday early I headed to Camp Pretty Pond in Brunswick County to look for the reported Mottled Ducks.


I was surprised to see a Red-cockaded working the Long-leafs.


A huge flock of Ring-necked was scoured for anything unusual.  I think I found the Mottled on the far shore but the photos came out like crap and it was restricted access so I could not get closer.  So I have not added them to my list.

Saturday I took a nice stroll at Fort Fisher with my waders on to get the Sedge Wren monkey off my back.  They don't seem to want to come close to the trail this year so I had to get into it with them.


Sedge Wren



Nelson's Sparrow



Marsh Wren



Cooper's Hawk fly by at Burnt Mill Creek.


The State Bird.


Pied-billed Grebe


Black-bellied Plover at Wrightsville Beach


Least Sandpiper


I looked for the Black-headed Gull in the inlet but could not find it.  Plenty of Boney's but none with obviously red legs and bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment