Tuesday, August 25, 2026

5 Lakes Hike - Zermatt (17Jul2026)

I didn't plan to go to Zermatt when I initially made our itinerary, mainly because it was a little out of the way and would require some really long travel to our next destination of Lugano where we had a hotel lined up.  I also heard it was very touristy and I don't generally like those kind of places.  However, there is a reason the tourists like it including one of the best hikes in Switzerland, the famous 5 Lakes Hike.  So when we were deciding our route for the 17th, we decided to make it happen.

The first thing to consider is that in order to get to Zermatt from Kandersteg, you need to get on a train.  Let me clarify, I mean you need to drive onto the train!!  There is a train that takes your car through a tough mountain tunnel that is only wide enough for one lane.  It's only a short ride but you have to wait for the train and then drive on it with a hundred other cars.  Then once you make it over, you cannot drive all the way to Zermatt as it is a car free town.  So you have to take a train from Tasch to Zermatt.   That being said it is all very efficient and is less complicated than it sounds.

We made it to Zermatt relatively early before lunch and took the gondola up to the trailhead for the 5 Lakes hike which is one of the most famous hikes in Switzerland.  It was absolutely beautiful, but I didn't rank it anywhere near Oeschinensee.  Maybe if the Matterhorn was not covered in clouds most of the time it would have been better.


The Matterhorn was never completely revealed but we did get some almost clear views.  This is the famous mountain in the Toblerone logo.


The lakes themselves were not as beautiful as I thought they would be, but I suppose if the Matterhorn was clear it would augment the lakes.  My major complaint was that there were big steel snow making devices strewn all over the slopes which took away from the natural beauty of the place.  I brought my camera this time because the hike was mostly downhill and not too steep.



Northern Wheatear


Alpine Marmot


Valais Blacknose Sheep - according to the inter webs, these are the most cute sheep in the world.  I concur.


Melissa looking at me thinking "why can't he just go a little faster".  

Eurasian Crag Martin


Lesser Whitethroat - when in the field I thought I had some interesting warbler, but it turned out to be this relatively common bird throughout Europe.  It was still a lifer for me though.


The water in the rivers was full of a silvery silt from glacial melt. 


Large Ringlet Butterfly


Great Tit


Red-backed Shrike!! The only one I saw on the whole trip and definitely a major target for me.


What a beaut!

Black Redstarts were common.


Whinchat!  Another lifer for me.


Common Chaffinch


Chick begging from dad.


After taking the funicular down from the trail end, we had a lovely lunch in Zermatt.  It's a really nice town, but a little too touristy for my taste.  Despite there being no cars allowed, there were bikes and little carts everywhere and it seemed just as congested in parts as some cities that do allow cars.

The drive to Lugano from Tasch was about 4 hours and was beautiful but we couldn't stop much as we were going to be arriving late and we didn't want to be driving in the dark too much.  I did see some White-winged Snowfinches at the top of a mountain pass while driving but I couldn't stop because there was no pull offs on the road and we were on a blind turn.  I thought I would see more later, but I never did...

Next post is from Lugano which is in the Italian section of Switzerland and right across from the famous Lake Como.




No comments:

Post a Comment