Friday, February 17, 2023

Craven and Washington counties and a Hyde Carteret Repeat (06-12Feb2023)

It seems I am breaking my own rules... I wanted to only try for new counties this year and shy away from traveling to see rare birds I have already seen in NC.  However, sometimes the pull of the chase is too strong to ignore.  My plan this past weekend was to chase a Harlequin Duck at Fort Macon in Carteret County and then a Swainson's Hawk at Alligator in Dare County, both counties I had already hit this year.  I reasoned that I would visit other counties in between.  The problem with this is that when I miss a bird I was targeting because it's hiding somewhere, I tend to overstay thinking it will eventually show up.  That strategy sometimes does work and it allows me to really focus my time in one area which is great if you don't have goals of seeing more territory.  Unfortunately this time it didn't work and I simultaneously missed both my targets and only added two new counties for my year effort.  Birding is hard, the highs are great and the lows are crushing.  That being said, I do have some nice consolations to report and I did have a good time regardless.

First some photos from during the week around town.


Ring-necked Duck at Rogersville Rd in Wilmington.


The Boat-tailed Grackles at Johnnie Mercer are starting to get ready for breeding season.


A Savannah Sparrow at Masonboro Inlet looked like a dark Ipswich but maybe borderline.


American Oystercatcher at Masonboro Inlet.


Boney


The Fort Fisher pseudo point break was doing its thing one day early this week.


Black-crowned Night-heron at Airlie.

I love the feather detail on a Gadwall.


An American Wigeon continues at Airlie and now has been joined by a female (not in picture).


Blue-headed Vireos never get old.


Wood Ducks neither.

Anhingas are always reliable at Airlie.

One day a Neotropic Cormorant will show up at Airlie, but until then the Double-crested variety will have to do.


The feeder at Airlie is always good for a wintering Ruby-throated Hummingbird.


Tufted Titmouse being coy.


Common Grackle at Oleander Gardens.


Brown-headed Cowbird at Oleander Gardens.

Friday afternoon I was able to leave work a little early and headed to Carteret County to try for the Harlequin Duck that Marty found at the jetty at Fort Macon.  I arrived to a strong south wind that was whipping up waves and causing a feeding frenzy in the surf for Bonaparte's Gulls and Razorbills.


This Razorbill was actually inside the inlet almost all the way in close to the parking area.


Great Black-backed Gull 


I know that they had a ton of Common Murres and one Thick-billed Murre on a recent pelagic so I was looking hard through the Razorbills.  Some of the immature ones looked interesting with slimmer bills.


It was really hard to photograph them because the camera kept focusing on waves that were moving and the birds would only stay up for a second before plunging underneath the briny.


Another Razorbill.

Then I caught a glimpse of a Murre!  But it kept going down behind the end of the jetty and I was really struggling to get a photo.  I had climbed atop the slippery rocks to try and get a higher perspective and then finally I nailed it.


The characteristic long and pointy bill of a Common Murre!

I spent the next 30 minutes of light trying to get better photos and it did finally swim in closer.


Common Murre.


So no Harlequin but I will take a Murre!  It was my first self-found true rarity for the year.  Only the second county record for Carteret on eBird and the first one was a wrecked bird brought to rehab.  Thankfully mine looked healthy and was fishing successfully.


Black Scoter


Great Black-backed Gull


Red-throated Loon

I was tired after this even though it was still early, so I decided to stay in New Bern which was another hour closer to where I wanted to be on Saturday.  That would put me in Craven County!  

Craven County population is about 100k people and is the 15th largest county at 708 square miles.  The county seat is New Bern, a fairly nice city on the Neuse River with live oaks and some good eats.  However I was even more hungry than I was tired so I decided to eat in Havelock which is the southernmost town in Craven.  I googled a Mexican place but when I pulled up it was super crowded, so I checked another place online nearby and headed over.  Like a complete idiot I pulled in to the parking lot but somehow neglected to check the sign of the restaurant I walked into.  I went to the order counter and said "I heard your meatloaf is good?" which is what it said online.  But the lady at the counter looked at me like I had two heads.  Turns out I walked into the restaurant next door to my intended dinner and it ended up being a happy accident because Good Vibez ended up being perfect!  I had the Rueben sandwich and a house made cocktail that was delicious.


Good Vibez indeed!  

My biggest mistake on Saturday morning was exploring Martin Marietta Park in New Bern first thing in the morning instead of heading to Alligator.  I reasoned that it was a new county (Craven) and I should prioritize my time accordingly.  What I found out later is that the Swainson's Hawk was sitting pretty on the side of the road a good portion of the morning at Alligator and only disappeared when I finally got there.  Hindsight is 20/20.  

That being said my walk at Martin Marietta was fun if not uneventful.  This somewhat new park was created from an old rock quarry and has hosted the 2nd Neotropic Cormorant found in NC for the past year although it has not been seen since December.


My eBird track.  I looked at all the snags to see if I could locate the Neotropic but no luck.


This is the snag I saw the Neotropic on last time.  This time it was all DC Cormorants.


Ruddy Duck

There were huge rafts of Scaup, mostly Lesser like this one.

My next stop were the Beasley Rd. retention ponds off the 64 but couldn't pick out anything of note.  That was my quick stop in Washington county but I will be back to talk more about Washington County later.

Here is a little anecdote that I think is interesting.  Plymouth is in Washington County.  Washington is in Beaufort County.  Beaufort is in Carteret County.  At least Cape Carteret is in Carteret County.   I guess they ran out of ideas when naming cities and counties in NC.

Next stop was Alligator NWR in Dare County to try for the Swainson's Hawk and Ash-throated Flycatcher(s).  Here is where my foray became frustrating.  I drove the roads all around Alligator from basically 1pm through dark and didn't find either of my targets.


There were tons of raptors soaring but most of them were Red-tailed Hawks and Bald Eagles, not to mention Vultures.

Some of the immature RT Hawks looked interesting until I noticed the dark belly band or saw the dark petagial bars (leading edge of underwing).



Despite not finding my target birds, I was very pleased to get my first ever Bobcat.  It almost looked like it was injured the way it was dragging its hind legs but I found out that is just a submissive posture that indicates it was scared by my presence.

I drove all the way home so I could spend Sunday with the family, but I did get out for a short bird walk.  


Piping Plover at Masonboro Inlet.


Rock Pigeon


Purple Sandpiper


Dunlins and Purple Sandpipers.

The Gadwalls and Wigeons continued at Airlie.

Here is a short video of an American Crow at Airlie.  I have been very unlucky with Crows this year.  So far I have only heard American Crows!  I can't even believe I haven't heard a Fish Crow yet 6 weeks into 2023.   


On Tuesday (Valentine's Day) I did a presentation at Hallyburton for Cape Fear Audubon.   We had a good group in person (maybe 30 people) and a bunch on Zoom.  I am glad that's over.  Although I have been told I am a good public speaker, I have to admit I don't enjoy it and do get a bit nervous.

This coming up weekend I have a 4 day weekend!!  I probably have not learned my lesson and will try for the Swainson's Hawk again.  But this time I will get there early.



16 counties down, 84 to go!






No comments:

Post a Comment