Monday, May 8, 2023

California Part 2 (11Apr2023)

Day 3 in California started with a drive over the Diablo Range into the central valley and then on some backroads as we headed towards our hotel, the Rush Creek Lodge.  I was driving down a random road in Oakville, CA and saw some magpies flying by so I made a quick stop.


Yellow-billed Magpie!  These are the only mainland endemic in all of California!  Pretty cool.  

We were only 15 minutes from our next stop which I had scoped out as a potential spot for Lawrence's Goldfinch.  Luke had to do a long run so I had a couple hours to explore.


Knight's Ferry Recreation area is an awesome park straddling the Stanislaus River.  The covered bridge is the longest one west of the Mississippi River.  

Lupines were sprouting up everywhere.




I like lichen.



Nuttal's Woodpecker


Golden-crowned Sparrow

It was a nice stop but we took the wrong trails because they were repaving the lot and had us go to wrong side of the river.  I would love to go back and explore some more.  And I still don't have a Lawrence's Goldfinch on my life list.

By the time we got into Groveland it was still too early to check in and we were so close to Yosemite we figured we would do a hike.  Our hotel, the Rush Creek Lodge is just 10 minutes outside the road that leads into the Hetch Hetchy entrance to the park.  Most folks visit the main entrance in Yosemite Valley, but Hetch Hetchy is amazing too and in fact I preferred this area of the park.

The trailheads all seem to start at this dam on the Tuolumne River.  We chose the trail to Wapama Falls.


Water levels were way up thanks to the atmospheric rivers of previous months.


Waterfalls seemed to be coming out of every rock crevice all around the reservoir.



I didn't study this red stuff too closely so I am not sure if it is a moss or flower, but it was gorgeous.

Luke posing.

George taking on the mist below the falls.



Probably the best photo I have ever taken with an iPhone.

The birds were few and far between here.  That is the irony of birding, most of the birds seem to enjoy habitat at the margins of nature and not in the thick of it. I think most birders have stories about getting the best bird in the parking lot.


After a nice long hike we pampered ourselves back at the lodge and went swimming in the heated pool.  This is the life!  I can recommend the lodge, it is everything as advertised but the price tag is a bit much.






No comments:

Post a Comment