Sunday, May 20, 2018

Streaking (19-20May2018)

I have been on a roll lately so even though I had to stay somewhat local this weekend due to soccer games, I did manage to get a couple key birds for my year.

I started out on Saturday morning at Ft. Fisher Spit and Aquarium Trail.



Seaside Dragonlet - I never noticed the three blue dots on his head before.


Four-spotted Pennant I think.


White-Rumped SP - my target bird but don't worry I got better pics later at the North End.

After Luke's game (which he won) I went for a high tide walk on the beach at Wrightsville.  I love when it rains in the Spring and Summer because the crowds disappear and the birds come in.


I am fairly certain the bird on the left is a Long-billed Dowitcher.  Generally larger with a bit of a swallowed tennis ball look and overall rufous color even on belly. Also it was vocalizing while feeding which I think is a Long-billed field mark according to Sibley.   I am fairly sure the call was a Long-billed call but I am not very musically inclined so I never rely on sound only.


The middle bird has an acute loral angle compared to the Short-billed on the right which has an obtuse loral angle which gives a flared look to the supercillium.



Check out the nice even sided V formation the supercillia make.  A Short-billed has a pinched appearance at the bottom of the V caused by the obtuse loral angle.


The swallowed a tennis ball look is pronounced here, specifically near where the legs are.


The darker bird had a much darker tail with thicker black barring than white.


Nice even arc of the supercillium (eyebrow) on the right bird and more flared one on the left.



Nice long bill with minimal bend to it.   I could be wrong, let me know if any detractors.


White-Rumped Sandpiper


Semi on left and WR on right.


After the afternoon soccer games were rained out, I headed for one more check at Fort Fisher.  I figured that the athletic fields might be flooded but they were not.  I still had something up my sleeve though...


My Common Nighthawk honey hole produced one bird sleeping on the sand.  I was careful to not disturb it and it was still there when I left.


Spotted SP


I have seen Laughing Gulls with red bills but this one was ridiculous.

Today I woke early and headed to Fort Macon with visions of the Magnificent Frigatebird seen the day before.  I only had a couple hours to bird and was peeved when I got to the gate at 7:30 am and realized they don't open it until 8am.  It gets light out at 6 so they really are slacking by not opening until 8.  That left me with 90 minutes to get the Shiny Cowbird and then hopefully some time to look for rare terns or frigatebirds.


RW Blackbird


Catbird


Is it just me or do Grackles always looked pissed off.


I scrutinized the female Cowbirds for a possible Shiny but they were all Brown-headed as evidenced by the stout bill.


Painted Speedblur



I waited ..... and waited..... no Shiny Cowbird...  I was basically out of time then it showed!!


Shiny Cowbird




Brown-headed Cowbirds on left and Shiny on right.



Hooray.  I made it home just in time to watch my son's game.

No comments:

Post a Comment