Thursday, November 2, 2017

Caves and Broad-bill (31Oct - 01Nov2017)

On Tuesday evening after work I headed down to Wrightsville Beach to blow some steam and see if the Cave Swallows were still around.  They were....

I am posting a bunch of pics here because I think it is interesting how variable these birds are.




This one almost had me going for Cliff Swallow it was so dark and rich colored.  I wonder if a Caribbean Cave had mixed in with the Mexican race?





Sibley's mentions that some Caves will get a bit of a necklace like Cliffs have.  I see it in this one.








Very interesting....

On Wednesday I had insomnia so I decided why not put my energy to good use and get me a Broad-billed.  I had a ton of Teleconferences scheduled for the day but I reasoned I could take them while driving on my Bluetooth.  Last time I do that for a while...  But I got my bird!  Thanks Joan and Jeff!



I didn't see any evidence of a gorget and seeing that juveniles would start getting some gorget by this time of the year I would think she is female.


It was early morning and I never got a good opportunity to shoot her in good light without being obscured by a twig or sitting on a feeder which is never ideal.  But I had limited time and so had to content myself with these substandard shots.


A very vocal bird and very lost!  Good thing that Jeff and Joan are taking care of her.


No comments:

Post a Comment