Sunday, November 26, 2017

Giving Thanks (19-26Nov2017)

What is better than Thanksgiving Dinner cooked at home with all family present?  Thanksgiving Dinner cooked at home with all family present and a couple lifers... I went back to my roots for Thanksgiving and stayed with my parents in Long Island, NY.

On Sunday I had a day to bird so my father and I went to Heckscher State Park to take a walk and of course I had scoped out some Hudsonian Godwits ahead of time.


Hudsonian Godwit - it did not take long to find it.  I was looking forward to crushing it but as I was parking the car after taking these shots a Peregrine swooped in and took a Black-bellied Plover and in the process scared the godwit off.





The party pooper.


Look closely to see the poor plover.



The Horned Larks here walked right up to my vehicle while I snapped photos.




Downy WP


American Wigeons at Setauket Mill Pond



Shoveler



Some of the family on one of our walks.


Brant at West Meadow





Plenty of Long-tailed Ducks at West Meadow



These clowns showed up and scared all the ducks away.  Apparently people eat Long-tailed Ducks or just shoot them for fun, I am not sure which.

On my last day in NY, my little brother and I went to West Hampton where I used to be a lifeguard.  We fished but didn't catch anything.  I was surprised to have a Snowy Owl fly right over my head while I was reeling in my line and was not able to get my camera on it.  However, I watched it fly down the beach and finally land on a house.


Can you see it on the chimney of the distant house?  We walked all the way down and was lucky that the bird stayed put.



As I was taking pics some typical Long Island idiots pulled up in a SUV and started hooting and making all kinds of noise....


The owl does not like guidos...


We found him on another house and watched him for a while as the sun set (at 4:30pm!!!).

Back in Wilmington on Saturday,


This rail looked good for a Virginia Rail to me but now I am wondering with that whitish throat is it just a squat looking Clapper.

Sunday Morning I made the drive to Jordan Lake to look for the Little Gull.


First thing in the morning thousands of gulls were taking off after their evening roost.  I thought to myself "how in the world will I find a Little Gull in this mix".  Luckily these were mostly Ring-billed and they left to presumably head over to the dump.


I finally picked up the Little Gull but I forgot to dial back my ISO settings after the early morning light and most of my pics did not come out.  Here are a few salvageable ones.


Top view shows a all white bird with stubby rounded wings.


Bottom view and you can see the diagnostic dark underwings.


I will have to improve on these pics but a lifer none the less...

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment